ACADEMIC WORKERS BUILDING POWER AND WINNING CHANGE
PROUD MEMBERS OF THE AMERICAN FEDERATION OF TEACHERS
WHO WE ARE
We are the contingent and full-time faculty, graduate workers, staff, post-doctoral researchers, undergraduate workers, and academic librarians who are the backbone of higher education in the US. At a time when corporate interests are overtaking the educational mission of the academy, we are uniting across classifications, campuses, and states to fight back.
By coming together as workers we can take on the administrative bloat, financialization, and casualization of the academy, and end the poverty wages and deteriorating working conditions that come with it.
Join us as we build the power to set industry standards that support academic workers so we can do what we love without struggling to live.
SHARE YOUR STORY
Join the campaign for Community Led Campuses by sharing the insights, experiences, and concerns you have as a member of a campus community.
- How has your institution handled the pandemic?
- What is the biggest challenge you face as an academic worker or student?
- What kinds of work do you do that are not included in your job description?
COVID-19 Resources for Academic Workers
BECOME A UNION MEMBER
ORGANIZE AT YOUR UNIVERSITY
SUPPORT THE LABOR MOVEMENT
AFT Academics is the higher education associate membership Local of the American Federation of Teachers – the largest higher education union in the United States.
- Work with AFT union organizers to build power and win change.
- Connect to a national network of union colleagues across the U.S.
- Support the academic labor movement in the fight to preserve and expand the rights of academic workers, improve working conditions, and build a better, more just academy.
THE ORGANIZING CONVERSATION
HIGHER ED UNION ORGANIZING 101
STRATEGIC PLANNING FOR ISSUE CAMPAIGNS
SOCIAL MEDIA FOR UNION ORGANIZING
STRATEGIC RESEARCH FOR ORGANIZING
AFT Academics exists to support academic workers organizing where they are, regardless of labor rights in their state, to build power and win change. One way we do this is by providing online trainings to give you the tools you need to become a confident and effective organizer. Sign up to learn more about becoming a member and participating in this one of a kind training series!