This organizing toolkit was developed by AFTA’s Communications Working Group to help you use the united higher-ed COVID-19 response statement as a tool to organize where you are. If all of us reach out to our networks we can build a powerful community of academic workers, grow our capacity for collective action, and win the academy we deserve!
- Keep in mind that the statement is an organizing tool and that your goal is to start organizing conversations and identify new allies among your colleagues.
- Start by only sending this email to 1-3 of your colleagues. If you send it to a larger group you may not have the capacity to do all of the necessary follow up conversations.
- We can let you know if your colleagues have signed on and help you with next steps! Email us and an organizer will follow up with you.
STATEMENT SHARING TEMPLATE
I’m sure you’ve heard about [recent issue at your university]. It probably doesn’t surprise you that most universities in the U.S. are going through these same struggles and uncertainty. I’m part of an organization (AFT Academics) that published a statement calling for equitable and transparent decision making from all universities. It’d really mean a lot to me if you could read and sign the statement if you haven’t already! Here’s the link: aftacademics.org/demands
This statement includes six specific demands that put academic workers first, including [demand relevant to your situation]. The demands they put out really resonated with me exactly because of [local issues]. I’m really excited by their approach, and I’m happy to talk more about AFTA and the statement if you have any questions!
I’d love to set up a time to chat more about [local issue] and your thoughts on how things are going. Do you have some time [propose a day or two that work for you]?
Hope you’re hanging in there and doing alright!
SOCIAL MEDIA OUTREACH
- Tag @AFTacademics, we’ll boost your post!
- Include one or more of the recommended hashtags in each post
- Include a graphic, photo, or gif (you can use graphics on this page in your posts!)
- Personalize your posts (“I signed the statement because…”)
- Make a strong ask (“Sign the statement if you agree!”)
HASHTAGS TO USE
- Ask folks to sign on to the statement!
- Ask groups to endorse the statement!
- Talk about the statement demands that are relevant to issues in your workplace
- Share how your university is responding to COVID-19, and how you feel about it
- Talk about the pandemic’s impact on your life
- Post news and articles about higher-ed, organizing, COVID-19, etc.
- Take pictures of your daily work or the space you’re using as a home office/lab/classroom
- Post a picture of yourself working, wearing your union button or a mask, with your bookshelf, etc
- Make memes to share here
ACCOUNTS TO FOLLOW
SAMPLE SOCIAL MEDIA POSTS
I signed the #SolidarityNotAusterity statement because we need to #StopTheClock on tenure track, graduate and undergraduate degree timelines, fellowship and scholarship requirements, and staff professional development assessments! @AFTacademics https://aftacademics.org/demands
TWITTER GRAPHICS TO USE
Save these graphics to your phone or computer to use them as part of your organizing outreach posts!
FACEBOOK GRAPHICS TO USE